We used a clever forum to teach at a computer lab. The SMART tablet basically replaces the image of the digital projector / LCD projector on an interactive whiteboard for writing.
The SMART Board itself is a touch-sensitive giant screen that connects to your computer. The digital projector displays the computer screen on the SMART board and software that allows you to touch and connect to the computer.
As more and more school leaders and teachers are investing in openers, the question is whether SMART Boards are a good investment. After all, writing an intuitive touch screen interface and digital documents (digital ink) would allow us to overlap the board, flip chart papers, and overhead projectors.
- SMART Board lets you control any application through the touchpad. So you (or your students) are physically on the screen at the beginning of the classroom instead of working behind the computer keyboard.
- You can use any of the four colors of a signal or eraser for use with digital inks when moving applications, web pages, or videos. The SMART board will continue to work if you lose the feathers. (4 color pen holders and one eraser.) When you lift the pen from the slot, select the color or the eraser.
- Like other digital inkjet software applications, you can save your work to a notebook file and convert handwriting into text.
- It's hard to write. The biggest disappointment in digital ink is the fact that the SMART Board is a front-facing projection screen. This means that your data projector is set up in front of the screen (as an overhead projector). This means that when you are between the projector and the screen, you shadow the screen … where you try to write. He was sure that he was in touch with the programs, but it was difficult to write notes because he was blocking the image.
- It's hard to write nicely . I was completely honest, and it was a little disappointing that our handwriting was on SMART Board. Better than our other digital pen (i-pen), our handwriting was still large, blocking and messy. One of the things you have to train yourself is not relying on the SMART Board. When you write on a board or on a white board, it typically palms the palm rest on the board. If you do this on the touch screen, the cursor moves to your palm and does not work. You must be prepared to write the tip of the pen. The marker worked well to highlight or outline the key ideas, but if you want to edit or modify a 12-point, double-spaced Word document, you may have difficulty checking it.
- You still need to go back and forth from the keyboard on the screen. You can start your web browser by tapping the SMART table, but when it came time to enter the site's address, we had to go back to the desk to enter the URL.
- expensive. The full cost of ownership of SMART Board can be forbidden for classroom teachers. The 77th Retail Cost? (195.6 cm) Front Panel SMART Board Interactive Tablet $ 1399 (USD), supported by the Canadian SMARTER Kids Foundation. (www.SmarterKids.org)
- Enter your own data projector. A new, fair projector price of approx. Costs 500 – 1000 dollars. SMART Board is just a huge touchpad. You need to have your own projector to display the image on the smart board. (Software, Connection Cables, and Racks are included.)
- You may want to upgrade to a wireless connection ($ 199 USD) to eliminate the cables and the unlocking hazards in the classroom. The screen image and the SMART Board touch screen may skip from the setting. This means that when you try to click a button, the mouse pointer will appear a few inches away. The hardware must be re-aligned, which interrupts the lesson.